Thursday, February 24, 2011

February 23

The reading for this class was another chapter in the same book by Eboo Patel. The book is called Acts of faith: the story of an American Muslim, the struggle for the soul of a generation and it's basically amazing. I suppose one good thing about this class is that it shows us some pretty awesome stuff. Granted, we don't tend to actually discuss these things in class, particularly. Then again, if we discussed these amazing things, I probably wouldn't be writing this blog.

Anyway, here's a screen-shot of another part of our homework:

On Moodle, or it didn't happen

Maybe it's just me, but if we're being leaders, shouldn't we be figuring these things out on our own? I'm not saying that leaders don't need help sometimes, but shouldn't that be at our discretion? I don't think it's helpful for students to toss ideas around in a space where the teacher can tell them, at any time, “You're doing it wrong.” Also, everyone in the class can see what you're planning. This isn't a problem like the teacher's constant threat of advice, but it's weird. People in the class could look at what other groups are doing, just to get an idea, and judge you. It's a little intimidating. I would rather that they trusted us enough to plan our presentations alone, using e-mail or whatever else worked best for us. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a student, after all. I had hoped college wouldn't repeat this high school mentality, but this class sure seems to.

No comments:

Post a Comment